Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hulless Pumpkin Seeds


Using the seeds from our carved pumpkins I decided to make a healthy snack. Pumpkin seeds are packed with iron, magnesium, fiber, zinc, potassium, healthy fats, protein, and tryptophan. I used this recipe (hulling boiled seeds) to remove the hulls first before baking them. I have only tried cooking pumpkin seeds once in my life and thought the outside was very tough and not too tasty. When I came across how to hull pumpkin seeds I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. It was pretty easy to get the seed out by squeezing the sides until it popped open or cracked and then I peeled the outside away. This process was very time consuming and I decided to only do two large handfuls of pumpkin seeds and the amount I got after hulling them was a very small but tasty bowl of seeds.

To toast my seeds (after removing the hulls) I soaked them over night in 2/3 c. water with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Next I placed them on a baking pan added melted butter and salt and cooked them at 300 degrees for 20 min. (until golden brown) about every 5 minuets I moved them around with a spatula to keep them from burning. The kids loved them and they taste a lot like popcorn.

 {Boiling the pumpkin seeds in salt}
{Pumpkin seeds ready to be hulled}
 {After my seeds were done cooking}

No comments:

Post a Comment