Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Neon Door Mat


A good friend of mine who moved to Massachusetts recently visited bringing me this sign for my front door. Apparently everyone there has one with their last name on it and she thought I should have one too. I came across this picture on Pinterest and it became the inspiration for todays DIY project. With neon colors being so popular right now I decided to pull out the yellow/green from my last name to add a little pop of color to my mat.
{before}


All you need for this project is a rubber mat, spray paint, and a dust mask. I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch that bonds to plastic. Place your rubber mat in a well ventilated place. Spray in a steady back-and-forth motion until the mat is covered. I let my mat dry overnight and then painted a second coat to get all the nooks and crannies I had missed the first time. I then gave it a clear top coat to seal and protect. I sprayed the mat a couple of times (with the clear paint) waiting a few minuets in between. The spray paint that I used recommended waiting 5-7 days for maximum adhesion and durability. So after a good seven days I placed my newly painted mat at my front door. 
{after}

1 comment: